[tips] Re: Freud iceberg quote: source
Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
2006-05-19 23:37:29 UTC
Laundry?
Cook dinner?
Grade term papers?
Waste time tracking down the mystery source of the quote?
YES!

The search for the elusive iceberg quote is turning out to be quite
fun?MUCH more fun than grading term papers ;)

I did a simple google search and found it on several website,
including http://www.quotegarden.com/mind.html and
http://en.thinkexist.com/quotation/the_mind_is_like_an_iceberg-it_floats_with_one/263270.html

I think there might be a good clue here:
http://www.blupete.com/Literature/Biographies/Philosophy/Freud.htm
With this quote:? "To use a familiar but helpful analogy, the mind is
like an iceberg, with only a small proportion of it visible above the
surface, but a vast hidden bulk exerting its influence on the rest.
For the unconscious is dynamic in nature, that is, it actively exerts
pressures and influences on what a person is and does. For instance,
there are unconscious desires, which can cause someone to do things
that he cannot explain rationally, to others or even to himself."
(Leslie Stevenson.6) With the footnote annotated as: Leslie Stevenson
is, or was, a reader in logic and Metaphysics at the University of St.
Andrews, Scotland; and, I must say, that I found his little book,
Seven Theories of Human Nature (1974) (Oxford University Press, 1987)
a most useful work in the earlier stages of my study."
Maybe the original source can be found there.

A most fascinating use of the quote that I found at
http://www.websyte.com/unity/creative.htm seems to be a perversion of
the quotation to: ?You may have heard that your mind is like an
iceberg, with 9/10ths of it below the level that we can see.?

But it then goes on to say, ?You may also have heard that most people
do not use 90% of their brain. You can learn to explore and use that
portion of your mind which is out of view for most people.?
And from there, predictably tries to help everyone develop their
creative minds. UNpredictably, they don?t seem to selling anything....

The quote is also linked to the article entitled, ?Hypnotherapy in the
Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Methods and Results in
Amsterdam? in Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, Volume 34,
Supplement 230 / September 1999. pp49 - 51 by M. Vidakovic-Vukic .

But a more promising source to anyone who can get access to this is:
Sharpe, E.F. (1940). Psycho-Physical Problems Revealed in Language: An
Examination of Metaphor. Int. J. Psycho-Anal., 21:201-213
Ella Freeman Sharpe
"I propose to deal in this paper with one aspect of psycho-analytical
treatment, namely, the value of understanding the metaphorical
language used by articulate patients. Words both reveal and conceal
thought and emotion. In psycho-analytical treatment our task is often
that of getting through barrages of words to the sense experience and
the associated thoughts. But words too can reveal the union of these
and we are greatly helped if we believe this and can recognize the
revealing phrase. Metaphor fuses sense experience and thought in
language. The artist fuses them in a material medium or in sounds with
or without words. The principle is metaphor.
Metaphor has been a subject of debate and investigation from Aristotle
to our own time. One of the latest exponents expresses himself thus:
'The investigation of metaphor is curiously like the investigation of
any of the primary data of consciousness; it cannot be pursued very
far without our being led to the borderline of sanity. Metaphor is as
ultimate as speech itself, and speech as ultimate as thought."

Which apparently contains the sentence, ?... To my mind a more
dangerous anger than a hot one. Like an iceberg, it gores a ship and
the ship is lost, it might have survived in the most angry seas.?

Another good lead is this: The Subconscious and Religion
James Bissett Pratt
Harvard Theological Review, Vol. 6, No. 2 (Apr., 1913) , pp. 209-228
in which the small abstract I have access to suggests a origin of the
source of talking about the unconscious and subconscious minds. This
source apparently contains the text, ?Or, to put the matter in a still
simpler metaphor, the mind is like an iceberg of which the greater
part is hidden under the sea." A distinguished theologian ...?

And a final link from my google scholar search:
" The Waters of the Mind": Rhetorical Patterns of Fluidity in Woolf,
William James, Bergson and ?
MJL Sánchez-Vizca¨no - clas.ufl.edu
... Freud?s metaphor of the ?iceberg? or Woolf?s ... does describe the
different elements
in the mind as flowing ... and why we find paragraphs like the following ...

Here is another more entertaining link: Harnessing Our Natural Brain
Frequencies For Improved Learning?Normal Or Paranormal? J. Abbott -
sorathmarketing.co.uk
... ?Like an iceberg, the sub-conscious part of our mind is vast and
has a much greater
scope of mind power and connectivity than the conscious?. ...

And

Marketing to the Mind: Right Brain Strategies for Advertising and Marketing -
RC Maddock, RL Fulton - 1996 - books.google.com
... agenda is underneath, hidden or obscured. Customers, co-workers,
and even our loved ones act on emotion. ?The mind is like an iceberg,?
we have been told ...

And from http://processcoaching.com/unconscious.html
Process Coaching & Wholeness Work
New Tools for Self Healing & Personal Transformation
Home ~ Tools of Process Coaching ~ Articles
The Iceberg Metaphor

OK; I really have to get back to the real stuff :(

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
619-260-4006
***@sandiego.edu

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
2006-05-20 14:02:10 UTC
Who wants to write this up? When does it go to press? How many of us
get to get to be co-authors?