[tips] Re: replicable perception experiments
Gerald Peterson
2006-07-06 19:12:58 UTC
David, a lot of the principles covered in the text can be worked up for group/class exercises and demonstrations. For example, assessing the impact of different illusions, exploring variations in size and brightness constancies, etc. Have the class review basic ideas about control and hypotheses and come up with tests of their ideas. Are there after-effects that transfer from one eye to another? Do people misjudge size based on visual biases? The old I. Rock notion that placing a cube/die under a magnifying glass will lead to over-estimations, is a fun idea and leads to discussion of so-called visual dominance and its exceptions. If it's possible to totally darken the room, you can create the autokinetic effect and discuss issues from judgments of movement, distance, and size in the absence of normal cues, to perceptions about UFO's. Discussions of expectation and perceptual set can be useful and lead to other demonstrations, or class ideas. Gary

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710
989-964-4491
***@svsu.edu

---
To make changes to your subscription go to:
http://acsun.frostburg.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=tips&text_mode=0&lang=english
Gerald Peterson